Monday, May 28, 2007

Hotel or Not?

Some of you who haven't booked a hotel yet may hear that it is absolutely necessary. Well, I was a deviant in this aspect. I stayed with my parents while taking the bar instead of booking a hotel. I live about 30 minutes drive from the Ontario location, but I am against traffic. I also took the Ontario Barbri, so I was pretty used to the drive out there. I woke up at about 6:30 a.m. each morning and started driving at around 7:15 a.m. I usually got to the site around 8:00 a.m. and did some quick reviews. Below is the pros and cons of staying at home.

HOME:
PROS:
1) I was away from the pressure pot where all my friends were staying.
2) I was able to get good sleep every night in my own bed.
3) My mom made dinner for me nightly, so I didn't have to worry about going to a restaurant and getting food poisoning or eating something that didn't agree with me.
4) My family kept pretty quiet when I went to bed early, so I didn't have to deal with unfamiliar hotel noises.
5) My mom woke up pretty early each morning, so I knew she would wake me up if my alarm didn't go off on time. Lower chances of oversleeping.
CONS:
1) I was asked each day how the exam went. I continuually had to explain that I did not want to discuss the exam during the time period.
2) I risked hitting traffic or some major accident and not making the exam ontime. (I figured that if it wasn't meant to be, it just wasn't meant to be. If I hit that terrible of traffic and couldn't make the exam, then it wasn't meant to be. There is no guarantee that I wouldn't be hit by a car crossing the street or being trapped in an elevator at the hotel or any other accidents.)

If you do pick a hotel and am taking it at Ontario, here are my recs, from what I heard:
1) Doubletree Hotel: right next to the bar site and not next to the railroad track
2) Marriot Residence: kitchen you can cook your food in, and across the street from the site
3) Marriot: I heard this place gets noisy because it's right next to the railroad tracks.

Note that the Ontario Convention Center is right next to a train track and right by the airport, so it is pretty noisy. If you are like me who like to sleep in complete silence, you may want to rethink staying at a hotel.

No comments: